Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hard Knock Life

I have been working on this discipline theory of having natural consequences be the punishment for bad behavior. I think it sounds like a great idea, but I must admit that sometimes the natural consequences are a little tricky. For example, running away from me in a parking lot. Getting hit by a car isn't really a good way to teach Benson to not get hit by a car. However, a few nights ago this idea worked out perfectly.

We had pasta for dinner and Benson wanted to sprinkle salt on his dinner, after he saw Tristan do it. So I let him but then he kept insisting on more. I explained over and over that only a little tastes good and I moved the salt away. While I was putting my plate in the dishwasher he snuck around and got the salt. I then walked over to the table to find the entire the container emptied on his pasta. I grabbed the camera and said, "go ahead and take a bite."


He hasn't asked for salt again.